Monday, April 6, 2015

CHAPTER 10 THE PHONE CALL

"Rahil I guess i need you, yes i do need you"

As he heard the line, his heartbeat increased and his eyes got deeper. He immediately placed his diary aside escaping a narrow nervous breakdown.
The 'truth and dare' girl, his crush, Ayesha was on the other side of the phone. She still managed to surprise him as always.


"Well what can I say....thank you for that..ummm" he replied as his heart thundered inside his chest. With a sigh of relief and holding up his breath, he just managed the dumbest reply possible.

"Thank you? Seriously? I mean is that all you have to say boy?...come on , a girl is saying you something" Ayesha knew Rahil had gone speechless on the other side of the phone.

"No...its not like that..Ayesha ..actually...ahh...I don't know may be.."
The boy paused for a while as Ayesha continued to monitor his reaction over the phone.

"Ok, so are you saying that you don't need me back?" she muttered.

"You know what? I so want to shut you up right now"

"Oh come on Mr. Writer, you can't do that so easily and I guess you know it too" her voice sounded easy and bit musical to his ears.

"Ok..then..I don't have any problem actually," he murmured.
Early morning , sitting in the balcony, he had again managed to make his words sound both out of sense and out of topic.

"Rahil....now may I know with what you don't have a problem? You are confusing me", a moment of pause and uneasiness prevailed.

"Oh God..nothing. I don't know what I'm saying...I don't know.." he said with a deep breath,facing the sky and a bright day.

"You know what, sometimes you do sound like a little child. I seriously wonder how come you are two years older to me..anyway.."

Rahil had no idea how to calm himself. His mind had lost control over his mouth. He knew he was not making any sense right now . He was just putting in continuous effort to sound as normal as he could.

"Ok fine, leave it.....just tell me why do you need me?" he asked after a long pause , trying to control his sweat.

"I don't know, I seriously don't. ...ok, So all I know right now is that I need you for now"

The long pauses between the lines continued.

"For now? I din't get you Ayesha..will you explain this to me please?"
His voice grew huskier. He slowly escaped the balcony and entered his room.

"Whom are you talking with?" Joy asked Rahil, as he tried hard to fight the hangover from last night and applying cream to his Russel Peters resembling face.

"Please hold on a second Ayesha.....Its Ayesha" Rahil murmured the last part of the sentence as softly as he could.

"Ok then, carry on. Like you I don't have someone waiting for me at the dinner table" his voice was full of sarcasm.

"Will you shut up now moron?" Rahil sounded a bit agitated.

"Ok carry on with your Ayesha then" Joy made the last word as soft as possible mocking him with a monster in his head smiling wide.

"Yup ..sorry..Ayesha, so say, where were we? " he decided to ignore Joy.

"Now are you asking me to repeat it all over again? This is heights"

"No..No...you don't have to. Okay , I remember, so you need me?"

"Yes and stop asking me the same thing over and over again" Ayesha sounded a little exasperated this time.

"Ok, I won't ask..but......I mean why do you need me...as in...I'm curious" he piled up one more question in front of her.

"I don't know, I seriously don't, I felt like saying, so I said it"

This was one of the few things Rahil hated. The drops of diplomacy and blurriness of her words were making him lost. He never felt comfortable when someone would leave him in a 'Does she mean Yes or does she mean No?' situation. He had experiences in the past where girls had made him flutter with their diplomatic answers. He wanted Ayesha to be different. All he knew right now was that he had to be charming enough and a responsible sounding guy.

"Okay,...at least you confessed that you felt you need me. Its..good..atleast you are frank and upfront. I admire that Ayesha"  he tried to sound more charming and gentle.

"Now you sound so cold , do you know that?"

"Cold? Why will I sound cold?..Oh come on , I just said that I admire the fact that you are frank and upfront"

"You know what...just leave it " She sounded a bit harsh this time.
His attempt to be a charming and responsible guy was thrashed immediately by his crush. Oh God these girls are just impossible he said to himself and rushed back to balcony. He had fallen for a girl, he had a crush on her, the 12th one, but a different one and now when that girl was just expressing her feelings , he was unable to say a thing, he was speechless. The only thing he could do was sweat. This wasn't getting any better.
After a long pause he continued,

"Leave it? I'm not leaving it. So now its better if you say, what did you mean when you said that you need me?

"Can I ask you something Rahil? Do you like me?" this was the frank and upfront side of hers doing the talking again.

"Ummm..yes, obviously..I do..I do like you"

It seemed Rahil wouldn't be getting his answers anytime soon.

"Ok..Good...so tell me why do you like me?"

"Oh, come on . I guess..I don't have an answer to that. I like you because ...I like you ..that is it."
 he admitted with a thought passing in his head  Is this girl on PMS, she is acting crazy.

"So now you see, it is the same actually. You don't know why you like me and I don't know why I need you, got it?" she cleared her perspective to an extent this time.

"Okay, got that, so why don't we stop trying to find the 'why factor' "
he said it feeling a bit strange and still confused but he was enjoying it.

"Yup, exactly , that is what I meant . After all..you don't believe in WHYs , you believe in fate as i remember"

"Yes you are right, that I do..I like you..I agree..and you need me. So Ayesha does that mean this is heading somewhere?"

It was a stupid question to ask and he knew it . He was  just getting abruptly desperate to clear out things and get some warning from her if there were any at that point.

"What" Okay...I can't answer that , I guess. I am actually speechless you know" she mumbled after a pause.

For months now he had been wanting her, stealing a glance of her every possible moment. The truth and the dare, the farewell party, the cancelled lunch and the 'soup date',he was cherishing every moment he had lived with her till now. Today, all those tiny moments had brought him close to her. A little inside her world. I want you to be my girlfriend Ayesha , he talked to himself, facing the sky with a phone in his hand.

"Ayesha can we meet? like...can we? " he decided to carry on the conversation forward.

"When?"

"Okay, so are you comfortable with tomorrow?"

"No not tomorrow please, I have my tuition tomorrow and I hope you know it" she answered pausing between her words.

Ayesha knew, how this would hurt him. She knew he'd reach out for her arms every possible time. But she didn't want to move it so fast. The fear of her past still left her in despair.

"No, forget the tuition, I don't care. I want to meet you" he sounded little impatient.

"Now will you please stop like a dumb Mr. Senior?,  In case you have forgotten, I have my selections exams coming up next month."

"Fine, I got that, okay, leave it now. You had promised me that we will meet again if you remember..so...i guess its your choice when you want to do that" he replied sounding little more irritated with the senior part.

"Definitely , I remember my promise and yes, we will meet and I will let you know. I guess I have to hang up now"

"Okay whatever, as you want, keep needing me then...." he said in a frustrated tone as he din't get the answer.

"Bye bye, take care" she smiled  in a teasing tone as she kept the phone.

You are so much lovelier Ayesha, he said it to himself as he kept the phone back and thought to settle scores with Joy. Rahil just wanted her to call him now and just tell her when and where will they meet up again.

Ayesha gave in after that nightmare . A dream, a nightmare, but a thoughtful one was what she was in. After her previous relation had soured up, not in her wildest imagination she knew that she would be calling up a guy and say I need you.
She never was the regretting one. Her thoughts were as clear as her words. Thank you Rahil  she murmured as she left the balcony and entered her room.

The phone rang suddenly and in a second Ayesha was on her feet, expecting it to be him.
Much to her expectation it wasn't.

"Hello.."

"Hello Ayesha , Aditi here.."

Its surprising how after reaching a certain point we start expecting every single call and message to be from the same person.

No comments:

Post a Comment