Wednesday, April 22, 2015

CHAPTER 12 FOUR PINTS DOWN

It was 6.30, 30th January. Everything was the same, except Rahil. The room was as messy as always, mostly with the sprawled newspapers thrown over the bed. A pile of clothes hanging beside his bed. The layer of moss in the balcony was the only thing growing for now.
The city was wintry and the flurry of cold wind brought chills with it. The sky looked pale and the horizon was subdued with dim lights spread over it.

He went ahead to answer the doorbell, he opened the door and let Prashit and Rohan in, breaking the long existing gruelling silence flowing inside his room.

"Finally we managed to get an appointment with you, thank you sir" Rohan taunted him as soon as he entered ,reminding him how busy he had been for these few days.

"Aare yaar, come on now , ...rubbish" Rahil replied in an imprecise tone.

"Anyway we will come to this later. Its Chelsea vs Arsenal today guys" Prashit interrupted and went ahead to make himself comfortable on the bed.

"Oh right, shit I totally forgot,....its game day today" Rahil tried to sound little bothered and excited.

Meanwhile Rohan looked spiritless and inattentive to the topic. He was hardly into the European football. The  farthest he kept interest for the game was when Mohun Bagan's match was aired . He headed towards the kitchen deciding not to get in on the act. He asked Rahil,
"So why din't you come for tuition today?"

"Actually I woke up late and I was not feeling well today so I din't.."

This was the third class he had bunked in a week. As of now it seemed that he had no trepidation for the upcoming exams and the cause of it was a single girl. Ayesha had taken over everything in his life. She was immensely growing on him and he was letting it. From the moment the rays of the morning sun showed up till the time stars went bright he was in love with her.

"Yup, I exactly know why you were not feeling well. Rahil....stop being like this..I mean you can't overlook everything just for her. You have your life and your dreams too, If you are forgetting" Rohan made his voice soft. Prashit kept his mouth shut and his eyes glued to the TV waiting for the London derby to kickoff.

"Nope, You are not getting me Rohan. I was not well, seriously" Rahil seemed little irritated with the topic . All he could think  was Why din't she reply me, who am I to her. He followed Rohan to the kitchen.

"Dekh bhai, Its your life ...I know..but I feel its my duty to make you realize if you are wrong"

"So what are you trying to make me realize , please enlighten me" Rahil murmured , stirring a cup of coffee he stood behind Rohan trying to look interested.
By this time Prashit entered the kitchen hustling and looking too eager for the match he shouted,
"Guys anyone up for booze tonight?"

"Yup I am on" Rohan agreed without any hesitation.

"Nope , please not tonight and by the way Rohan, don't you realize that this is wrong too?" Rahil mumbled.

"You are impossible man. What have a girl done to you?" Rohan replied taking long breath as he saw Rahil leaving the conversation halfway moving out with a cup of black coffee.

"Rahil....come on yaar..how can you be so boring? You always needed beers for the match before..remember?" Rohan insisted ,following him into the room.

"Obviously I remember it. I don't feel like doing it today..as simple as that", he replied placing  himself on the bed and taking a sip from his mug.

"Leave it then...Prashit and me are getting some for us while you carry on with your black coffee", Rohan sounded a bit agitated with his denial. Rahil gave a shock expression and decided not to answer him anymore. Five minutes more was left for the kick off. Both of them had a small chat and went out to get some alcohol for the night , leaving Rahil back , undisturbed with his cup of coffee.
The drizzles had started. Something is seriously wrong with him Rahil overheard Prashit as they left.

He looked at the mirror hanging beside him and smiled back at the reflection of it. He closed his eyes but nothing seemed contemplating. Ayesha I am no one to you na, I know he murmured in the silence.

Rohan and Prashit returned after 15 minutes with a litre of Royal Stag and some delicious looking chicken lollypop. The match had started by now they made themselves comfortable and started cheering for their team.

"How boring these girls are", Rohan interrupted.

"Oh now will you please stop this and let was watch the match" , Prashit shouted showing his Arsenal spirit over Rohan.
The never ending discussion over the sport continued for next few minutes. Meanwhile, Rohan quietly went to the kitchen and returned with three glasses and bottles of water with him. The two continued to watch the match. After few minutes the party started when Rohan started pouring the first peg.

"Rohan,I won't have , I told you people earlier.."

"Aare stop this now and its cold outside today, you will need it", Prashit came up with his illogical sounding logic.

"Oh God, make a small one for me", Rahil clarified himself as Chelsea scored early and he started screaming and cheering. It was raining heavily now. The winds blew with maximum velocity. The storm had hit the city. The weather was just unpredictable as Ayesha was in his life.
One peg after another it went down for the next hour as the conversation continued.

"Lets call Joy man, I am missing him now", The fourth peg inside Rohan started doing the talking.

"Its 9 p.m Rohan and I think we should let him enjoy in Pune", Rahil replied.

"You are only there when you have to call Ayesha, I so know you", Rohan murmured.

"Oh God not again, leave it", Rahil stood up and headed towards the balcony with a peg in his hand. The storm was in no mood to slow down. He took out the cell phone and started calling Ayesha after the fourth peg.

"Hello"

"Hey," her voice sounded low.

"You din't message me the whole day", he said.

"Yup, I know"

"Ayesha you haven't answered my question yet"

"What question?"

"I asked you who I am to you?"

"Oh, you know everything and why you doing this to me?"

"Okay. So the dinner, the date, does it mean anything to you?"

"Rahil stop it. I will explain it to you everything one day"

"ufff... Ayesha just don't leave my novel half written ever till that one day comes...I just want that much"

She din't reply and hung up. The silence left Rahil suffocated. The bottle had been half emptied now and Rohan lied on the bed asleep. Prashit still was cheering for his team to level the score. Rahil put the phone back into his pocket and took a sip from his glass as he stood their at the balcony facing the storm. His eyes in search of someone between the heavy rain and darkness. Prashit came out with his glass and the bottle, pouring himself another one.

"You want more?" he asked Rahil.

"Yup"

Prashit stood their beside his friend silently, kept staring at his half drunk, half hurt friend.

"Rahil whats wrong?", he asked, placing his hand on Rahil's shoulder.

"Nothing....why?"

"You can't lie to me buddy...I know you from four years and I guess I know you pretty well".

"Nothing re, seriously. Why don't you make me another peg"

"Did she tell you something? You can share if you feel like"

"Go away, your Arsenal is losing" Rahil gave a faint smile with a long breath. Both of them stood there, silently, following the vehicles running down below.

"What went wrong? Tell me", Prashit again broke the silence.

"Everything...everything went wrong".
Rahil opened up this time. The match had ended and Chelsea had won the game but neither Rahil enjoyed his victory not Rohan got infuriated as Arsenal lost.

"Interesting.."

"You find this interesting? seriously? Its tormenting actually"

"So tell me whats tormenting?"

"Prashit, this girl is making me crazy. She is not beautiful but she is the prettiest. She tempts me towards her. From college days till this very moment she has been growing on me. With every message , every phone calls...every conversations I start wanting her more. I don't know whats between her and me mate.
After twelve crushes..the thirteenth one is tormenting"
His voice stammered . Prashit decided to keep shut and let his friend speak. Rahil took another sip , smiled , and continued,

"Isn't it funny man, I love her , I am in love with the thirteenth one. I lost my mom when I was ten and life has never been fair to me after that and this time I want to prove my life wrong. Amidst all these....all these wrongs, she is the only thing that feels right. I don't even know why...I don't know how I fell for her, I don't even know why I did. After all these .....all these...She needs me but I am no one to her. Yes..You heard that right...no one. She can't be mine Prashit...she is in love with her ex boyfriend. Isn't it funny man?...She is afraid of commitments....What do I say now....I don't even know where I am going..."

Rahil stopped and emptied his glass. His eyes had gone wet. Prashit looked at him and smiled . It was raining heavily. The city was all drenched and so was his deep dark eyes.
***********
***********

No comments:

Post a Comment